Complying with the Public Sector Equality Duty Accessibility Plan
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not share it
St. John's Angell Town Church of England Primary School is an inclusive school where we focus on the well-being and progress of every child and where members of our community are of equal worth.
We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
Our Equality Objectives
At St. John's we are committed to ensuring equality of education and opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers, irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, religion, or socio-economic background.
Our approach to equality is based upon the following key objectives:
All learners are of equal value
We recognise and respect difference
We foster positive attitudes and relationships and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging
We observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development
We aim to reduce and remove inequalities and barriers that already exist
We have the highest expectations for our children
Eliminating discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act
The information provided here aims to demonstrate that we have given careful consideration to equality issues, in everything that we do at St. John's. ‘Due regard’ ensures that we work towards eliminating discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act.
We are committed to working for equality for all of our staff, parents, carers and children to meet our duties under the Equality Act 2010
We eliminate discrimination through:
- Adoption of the single Equality Scheme
- Implementing our behaviour policy which ensures that all children feel safe and addresses prejudicial bullying
- Reporting, responding to and monitoring all racist incidents
- Regularly monitoring the curriculum to ensure that the curriculum meets the needs of our pupils and that it promotes respect for diversity and challenges negative stereotyping
- Teaching of the highest quality to ensure that children reach their potential and all pupils are given equal entitlement to success
- Tracking pupil progress to ensure that all children and groups make rapid progress, and intervening when necessary
- Ensuring that all pupils have the opportunity to access extra-curricular provision
- Listening to and monitoring views and experiences of pupils and adults to evaluate the effectiveness of our policies and procedures
Advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
We advance equality of opportunity by:
- Using the information we gather to identify underachieving groups or individuals and plan targeted intervention
- Ensuring participation of parents and carers and pupils in school development
- Listening to parents/carers
- Listening to pupils at all times
Fostering good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- We foster good relations by:
- Ensuring St. John's is seen as a school for everyone within our community
- Ensuring that equality and diversity are embedded in the curriculum and in collective worship
Our Mission Statement
Christian values and high expectations are at the heart of all aspects of our school life, providing a safe, happy and inclusive learning environment where children are encouraged to develop respect, self-esteem and confidence. We aim to find exciting ways to educate, making use of the latest development in technology.
At St John's we celebrate success and encourage everyone to achieve their full potential by working together in partnership with parents, carers, the Church and wider community.