Children are allowed to bring in a packed lunch and this is eaten in the school hall.
We appreciate that it is nice for your child to have a treat in their lunchbox however we ask that you do not pack chocolate, sweets, crisps, fizzy drinks or fruit juices. Water Only.
All of the above items have a high sugar content which makes children less able to concentrate in the afternoons and can affect their ability to learn.
As a healthy school, the school would recommend that each child having a packed lunch has balanced meal which may include some or all of the following items:- sandwiches with any filling (except peanut butter), a piece of fruit, yoghurt and salad.
Nuts (including peanuts & peanut butter):
We have several children in school who are very allergic to nuts, as this can be an airborne allergy we ask parents please not to pack nuts of any kind in their child’s lunch.
Packed lunch healthy ideas and suggestions
If possible it is always healthier to have a variety of items from the different food groups in their lunch. Below are some healthy suggestions to choose from:
- Sandwiches or rolls, pitta bread, wraps, bagels or scones (wholemeal varieties are healthier)
- Dips with vegetable sticks
- Crackers, cheese, bread sticks, cheese straws, tortilla chips
- Pasta, rice, noodles
- Fruit salad
- Scotch eggs
- Sugar-free jelly, yoghurt, fromage frais, rice pudding, custard pots
- Plain popcorn
- Sausage roll, cheese roll, vegetable roll
- Raisins, currants, sultanas
- Tinned or dried fruit
- Slice of wholemeal pizza
- Scones or fruit buns
- Fruit/ Vegetables (whole or pieces)
- Dried cereal
The Change4life website is full of ideas for exciting and healthy packed lunch and meal options! Please also remember - no nuts or nut products at school.