P.E. & Sports Grant
At St John's we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sports Funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing an additional sports professional, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver in-house quality PE sessions.
PURPOSE OF THE FUNDING
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
The money must be used so that:
- all children benefit regardless of sporting ability
- that the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments
- that staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development
The Sports funding will be used at St John's Angel Town CE Primary School to:
- support and engage the least active children through new or additional sports clubs during the school day
- increase the amount of competitive sport in which our children participate – e.g Lambeth and Southwark Football competitions
- contribute towards the cost of a full time specialist Sports Coach to teach all year groups PE throughout the week
- invite athletes, dance troops and gymnasts into the school to inspire our children
- purchase equipment to offer access to new sports and physical activities as relevant
- develop a safe but active use of the playground at break times through playground markings